During your visit
- Go over your list of questions or concerns with your doctor and take notes. This will help you to remember everything your doctor says, and to follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Discuss your symptoms if you have a health problem, and any recent changes you may have noticed.
- Answer all of your doctor’s questions. Be honest about your diet and sexual history, how much you exercise and whether you smoke, drink alcohol or use drugs.
- Describe any allergies to medications, foods, pollen or other things. Also, tell your doctor about your family’s health history.
- Tell your doctor if you may be pregnant or if you are trying to get pregnant. Some medications are not safe if you are pregnant or about to become pregnant.
- Ask all questions about your condition and treatment, and any specific things you can do to ease your symptoms.
- Talk with your doctor about all new medications and how to take them.
- Ask questions if you don’t understand something. If you’re not sure you understood, your doctor would gladly explain it again.